The World Steel Association (worldsteel) has announced the shortlist for its annual Steelie Awards later this month.
The awards recognise member companies for their contribution to the steel industry over a one-year period in a series of categories impacting the industry. The winners of the 14th edition will be revealed on 16 October.
There are six categories, of which three relate directly to sustainability.
Excellence in low-carbon steel production:
• Aço Verde do Brasil – Scrap pre-heating for BOF charging
• ArcelorMittal – ‘Forest to Steel’ strategy: bioenergy as a driver for greener steel production
• China Baowu Steel Group – Development and application of low-carbon metallurgical technology based on HyCROF
• Emirates Steel Arkan – CO2 synergy: transforming Emirates Steel Arkan emissions into enhanced oil recovery solution for ADNOC
• HBIS Group – Unique coke oven gas zero-reforming DRI process combined with EAF
• POSCO Holdings – HMR70 steelmaking technology in combined blowing converter
Excellence in sustainability:
• China Baowu Steel Group – The complete set of process, equipment and demonstration of green and efficient rotary hearth furnace collaborative treatment of solid and hazardous waste in iron and steel plant
• JSW Steel – Waste plastic injection in blast furnace
• Mobarakeh Steel Company – ‘Sustainable water management by creating shared value with local communities’
• POSCO Holdings – Fe-enhanced slag silicate fertilizer: How application of blast furnace slag reduces methane emissions in rice farming
• Ternium and Tenaris ProPymes – Ternium and Tenaris value chain strengthening programme
Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment:
• Baotou Iron & Steel Group – Develop green steel with LCA and jointly carry out eco-design with mine vehicle enterprises
• China Baowu Steel Group – Application of Baosteel online detailed LCA platform
• China Steel Corporation – Green transition in the steel industry: CSC leads carbon footprint inventory and innovation based on LCA
• Citic Pacific Special Steel Group – Innovation practice in China’s first Product Category Rule (PCR) for special steel used in automotive components
• JSW Steel – Using LCA in new Advanced High Strength Steel product development and promotion
• POSCO Holdings – LCA-based case studies on avoided emissions measurement