United States – The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries is now accepting entries for the 2018 Design for Recycling Award. Every year, the competition celebrates the ‘most outstanding’ contribution to products designed with recycling in mind.
‘Effective recycling really begins at the point a product is first conceived,’ argues Robin Wiener, president of ISRI. The Design for Recycling Award, which was first launched more than 10 years ago, recognises companies, designers, and manufacturers with clearly established mindsets that stand above others when producing products that can be recycled both safely and efficiently.
The registration deadline is February 23, 2018. The winner of the competition will be announced at the ISRI 2018 Convention and Exposition, which will be held in Las Vegas in April.
Previous winners include this year’s winner EcoStrate SFS, as well as Cascades Fine Papers Group, and Samsung Electronics, to name a few.
To be eligible for ISRI’s Design for Recycling Award, a product must be designed/redesigned and manufactured to:
• Contain the maximum amount of materials that are recyclable.
• Be easily recycled through current or newly designed recycling processes and procedures.
• Be cost effective to recycle whereby the cost to recycle does not exceed the value of its recycled materials.
• Be free of hazardous materials that are not recyclable or impede the recycling process.
• Minimise the time and cost involved to recycle the product.
• Reduce the use of raw materials by including recycled materials and/or components.
• Have a net gain in the overall recyclability of the product while reducing the overall negative impact on the environment.
Would you like to share any interesting developments or article ideas with us? Don't hesitate to contact us.