Skip to main content

Michelin cleaning up Chile’s dumped tyres

Michelin is building its first tyre recycling plant in Chile. This is the result of its partnership with Enviro, a Swedish company that has developed a patented technology to recover carbon black, oil, steel and gas from used tyres.

The new facility will have a recycling capacity of 30 000 tonnes per year. Michelin says this represents roughly 60% tyres scrapped annually in Chile. More than EUR 50 million will be invested in the site, which is scheduled to become operational in 2023.

Chile currently recycles about 20% of all used tyres.

Enviro underlines that its technology makes it possible to recover all materials in an end-of-life tyre for high-quality applications.

Current plans call for 90% of the recovered materials to be reused in a variety of rubber-based products, such as tyres, conveyor belts and anti-vibration products. The remaining 10% will serve to generate heat and power for the recycling plant.

Would you like to share any interesting developments or article ideas with us? Don't hesitate to contact us.

You might find this interesting too

Stricter export rules and high freight costs make business ‘very, very difficult’
Shah: Growing scrap appetite in India despite Covid

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe now and get a full year for just €169 (normal rate is €225) Subscribe