Entries are now open for the South African Plastics Recycling Organisation’s (Sapro) 2021 Best Recycled Plastic Product of the Year Awards.
‘The event is a cornerstone of our strategy to grow the demand for plastic recyclate and helps to improve market acceptance of locally manufactured recycled plastic products. By acknowledging and showcasing the remarkable and inspiring range of manufactured goods that can be made from recycled materials, Sapro encourages brand owners, retailers, converters and industrial designers to consider recycled plastics as a material of choice,’ says Phil Sereme, general manager of Sapro.
He points out that this year’s awards ceremony will be a virtual event that takes place on 14 October. On this day, Sapro will celebrate the innovative efforts and hard work by recyclers, manufacturers and brand owners alike. Interested parties are encouraged to apply before the deadline: 15 September.
Entries will be judged on a number of criteria:
- life expectancy and sustainability of product
- measures that were taken to ensure product consistency and customer satisfaction despite recycled material content
- volume of plastic waste converted and diverted from landfill
- technical achievements in manufacturing to overcome recycled material challenges
The categories are the following:
- Packaging for non-food products
- Packaging for food and beverages
- Agriculture and related products
- Household and leisure products:
- Automotive, electronic, technical and engineering
- Construction and building sector
- Textile and clothing
- Volume Award: Products made of 100% post-consumer recyclate (PCR). This will be for applications that, in the opinion of the judges, utilises “substantial volumes” of post-consumer recyclate
- Overall winner: The overall “best-in-class” application from all of the above categories
Would you like to share any interesting developments or article ideas with us? Don't hesitate to contact us.