Skip to main content

Brazilian smelter fires up again

Alcoa has announced plans to restart a major smelter in Brazil it shut down six years ago.

The process to restart the idle capacity at the Alumar smelter in São Luís will begin immediately and the first molten metal is expected in the second quarter of 2022. Full capacity of 268 000 tonnes per year is planned for the fourth quarter of 2022. The company says it will be powered with 100% renewable energy by 2024.

‘Our restart decision is based on an analysis that shows the smelter can be competitive throughout all cycles, leveraging the co-located refinery, a strong workforce, and competitive, renewable power arrangements.’ said John Slaven, executive vice president and coo.

The smelter is jointly owned by a subsidiary of Alcoa and South32 and has three potlines with a total operating capacity of 447 000 tonnes which includes Alcoa’s share of 268 000 tonnes.

Alcoa Alumínio, a wholly owned subsidiary of Alcoa Corporation, owns 60% of the smelting and casting capacity; South32 holds the remaining 40%.

Would you like to share any interesting developments or article ideas with us? Don't hesitate to contact us.

You might find this interesting too

Cash boost for US aluminium facility
Steel demand picks up after Covid – except in China

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe now and get a full year for just €169 (normal rate is €225) Subscribe