Skip to main content

Axion: £100 million investment needed for flexible plastics recycling

Serienfertigung von Kunststoffbehältern Mass production of plastic containers

Most flexible plastic packaging can be recycled but investment of £100 million (US$ 136 million) in the collection, sorting and recycling infrastructure would be needed to make it happen in the UK, according to recycling solutions provider Axion.

‘The big problem is the lack of adequate facilities designed to process these largely-recyclable materials,’ comments Richard McKinlay, Axion’s head of circular economy. ‘If we are to increase the UK’s stalling recycling rate and hit future targets, the recycling of flexible packaging offers potential economic and environmental benefits.’

Some 400 000 tonnes of plastic-based flexible packaging is placed on the UK market each year, according to Axion. Flexible packaging such as plastic bags, confectionery wrappers, frozen food bags and pouches make up 27% of consumer plastic packaging in the UK – and yet much of this ends up in landfills or energy recovery.

What do the figures say?

Latest figures show that UK recycling rates have lost momentum: after increasing from 12% to 40% between 2001 and 2010, it subsequently rose only 5.2 percentage points to 45.2% in 2016/17.

Findings from the two-year R&D REFLEX project, led by Axion, showed that 80% of post-consumer flexible packaging, which is either polypropylene (PP) or polyethylene (PE), could be recycled – including those with metallised and barrier coatings. Much of the remaining 20% which is non-recyclable could be redesigned using innovative barrier and sealing materials to maintain performance while improving recyclability.

So… is it feasible?

The aim of the collaborative project, involving key players from across the entire supply chain, was to understand and address the technical barriers to mechanically recycling flexible packaging in the post-consumer waste stream, creating a circular economy for these materials.

‘We showed this technical feasibility on a relatively small scale with REFLEX, but need to demonstrate it on a larger scale, ideally with a dedicated UK research project focusing on the collection of household packaging films,’ says McKinlay. ‘Moving forward, more funding of around £100 million is required if we want to enable PP and PE film recycling from kerbside collections.’

He suggests this investment could come from extended producer responsibility schemes that would ‘encourage brands to design for end of life in exchange for reduced compliance fees, and so improve the recyclability of their packaging’.

‘Uncertainty still reigns’

Creating end markets for the recycled polymers is also important, according to Axion. While PE film is recycled, it tends to go back into film applications, which are sensitive to contaminants. Recycled PP can go back into injection-moulded products, such as paint pots and trays, extruded piping and outdoor furniture.

‘Uncertainty still reigns over what is recyclable when it comes to flexible packaging,’ McKinlay states. ‘The extensive testing and research we did through the REFLEX project delivered really valuable knowledge on processing these waste materials. We know that flexible packaging that has been designed for end of life can be recycled, so we need the facilities in place to do it.’

Would you like to share any interesting developments or article ideas with us? Don't hesitate to contact us.

You might find this interesting too

UK set to support Ukrainian steel imports
Vodafone backs e-cycling in Africa one phone at a time

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe now and get a full year for just €169 (normal rate is €225) Subscribe